Email Marketing: I know it works, our clients believe it works and we have great case studies that show it is a vital component of a marketing campaign. So let me try to put my love of email marketing into a short post.
Here are the top ten things I believe that marketers must do to make email marketing effective:
- One-size does not fit all! It’s important to measure response, look at open rates and see what readers are clicking on. Adjust and prioritize your content based on where the reader’s attention seems to land.
- Have a permission-based list. Permission-based lists are required by some email providers and can help prevent you being reported as a spammer.
- Have a branded design, these are easily created through email companies like Mail Chimp, Campaign Monitor or Constant Contact… or let Envoy design a custom email for you.
- Have a concise subject line (under 36 characters works best) that engages the reader and makes them want to open – this has to focus on your readers problem and offer a solution. Try A/B testing to gauge what your readers like best.
- Have substance in your content – what do your readers value? Give that to them.
- Our brains love images, so use them! Keep the message short, simple and to the point.
- Create a clear call to action that the reader can take… a landing page, social media – ask them to take an action.
- Reengage those that are not opening by finding out why, most readers like you to ask their opinion – so do that.
- Receiving too many emails is the #1 reason people unsubscribe. We have found for many of our clients that 1-2 times a month is enough. Of course it depends on the type of business, so use good judgment and what works for yours.
- Finally, proof, proof and proof again. Typos are embarrassing and unprofessional. Double check your links are in working order before sending the email.
As with any facet of our industry, technology and trends are constantly changing. Be sure to evolve and adjust your email marketing strategy as needed.